The Baroque church of Sant’Emidio in Ascoli Piceno consists of a travertine frontage which precedes three grottoes housing the saint’s sepulture and a necropolis with arcosolias were carved out of the living rock in catacombs.
It was built in 1721 by commission of bishop Giovanni Gambi, a relative of Pope Clement XI. The Bishop and Pope symbols are on the dome of the church.
Its name refers to Saint Emygdius (Emidius). According to legend, after having been beheaded in 309 near the current church of Sant’Emidio Rosso in Ascoli Piceno, the saint walked here with his head in his hands to be buried.